If you’re new to freelancing, you’re probably wondering how you’ll get paid when you land your first client.
We’ve made it easy for you as we list down the top payment methods that are most popular among Filipino freelancers:
If you’re working with international clients, PayPal is definitely the way to go. It’s the most popular choice for a reason – clients are familiar with it and trust it. Plus, it’s reliable and secure, and best of all, you can get paid in just a few seconds.
- Instant payment
- Invoicing services are free of charge
- Easy linking to bank account
- GCash Supported
- Strict verification process.
- Less favourable exchange rates. Example: As of June 5th 2023, the current market exchange rate for 1 US dollar was 56.14 Philippine pesos, whereas PayPal offered a lower rate of only 53.55 pesos per 1 US dollar.
- High fees in addition to low exchange rates
Wise (Formerly known as TransferWise)
If you’re looking for a way to get paid directly to your bank account, Wise (formerly known as TransferWise) is definitely worth considering. It’s super easy to set up too – all you need is a verified bank account and ID. Although it’s not as lightning-fast as PayPal, Wise is still a speedy option for online payments.
A lot of freelancers prefer Wise because of its great exchange rates and low transaction fees. So if you’re looking for a payment method that offers a fair deal, Wise could be just what you need.
- Payments are directly deposited to your bank account.
- No need to create a Wise account.
- Impressive conversion rates and low transaction fees. As of February 27th 2023, the market rate for 1 US dollar was 56.14 Philippine pesos, and Wise offered 56.13 pesos per US dollar.
- Not all countries have access to Wise.
- As Wise gains popularity among freelancers, payment transactions may take longer, sometimes taking days to receive payment.
Payoneer is gaining popularity among freelancers, and one of its perks is the ability to withdraw your earnings through a physical card. Plus, payments are processed in real-time, just like with PayPal.
The best part is that your clients don’t have to create a Payoneer account to send you payments. They can do it through a regular bank transfer straight to your Payoneer account. If you prefer to use Gcash, you can link it to your Payoneer account too.
- It can be linked with GCash.
- Payments are processed instantly.
- You can use the invoicing and billing services for free.
- A physical card is included for ATM withdrawals.
- A transaction fee of USD 2.50 is charged for each withdrawal.
- Virtual account holders may face a delay of a few business days in receiving transfers.
It is quite popular in the Philippines, especially for freelancers. It’s really easy for clients to use the platform online or through their app, and they can send the payment straight to your bank account. As a freelancer, all you need to do is share your bank details and you’re good to go!
Western Union does charge a fee for each transaction, and the amount varies depending on how much money is being transferred.
- The exchange rate is very close to the actual rate.
- You can opt to receive the payment in cash from any Western Union branch.
- No need for freelancers to create an online account.
- Senders may experience glitches while sending money.
- The time it takes for your funds to be transmitted to your bank account depends on your bank.
Mobile Wallets (e-wallet)
As a freelancer in the Philippines, you may have heard of GCash and PayMaya – these mobile wallets are getting more popular as payment options. With these e-wallets, you can receive payments directly and easily withdraw your money from various outlets nationwide.
And the good news is, you can link your e-wallet to other payment platforms like Paypal, Payoneer, and Wise to directly receive payments into your e-wallet account.
- Free to use.
- Real-time transactions.
- Can link to a bank account for easy transfer of funds.
- Can link to a physical Mastercard/Visa Cards for cash withdrawals.
- Secure transactions done with a One-Time PIN (OTP).
- Some services may have fees.
- Some users have reported technical issues with the app. Regularly check for updates and make sure to not give away your OTP to unauthorized persons.
Have you heard of using cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum to receive payment as a freelancer? It’s becoming more popular these days! Cryptocurrencies are digital money that isn’t regulated by the government and are based on blockchain technology.
But before accepting this payment method, make sure the client is reliable because cryptocurrencies can be volatile. Also, using cryptocurrencies has a bit of a learning curve, and it may take some time to understand how to securely store and manage them.
- Fast and low-cost transactions.
- Decentralised nature means no central authority controlling the flow of funds.
- Can receive payment from clients worldwide without exchange rates and transaction fees.
- Volatile prices.
- Not widely accepted as a payment method.
- Transactions can be irreversible, increasing the risk of fraud or mistakes.
Note: Using and trading cryptocurrencies should be approached with caution, and this statement does not imply an endorsement of them.
Selecting an appropriate payment method for your virtual team is essential. To make an informed decision, several factors need consideration, such as transaction fees, transfer speed, convenience, and security. By evaluating these aspects, you can confidently choose a payment method that suits your requirements and ensures the safety and satisfaction of your team.