There is a lot of misunderstanding around resume picture and job applications. Some people find it completely strange to include a picture on resume and applications, while for others it’s a standard practice.
So, once and for all, it’s time to address the elephant in the room. Do you really need to add a resume picture or not when sending in applications for a freelance job?
The simplest answer to that question is – you should, but only if you know how to do it right otherwise it can be a disaster!
To help eliminate the guesswork, here are some do’s and don’ts to remember when including picture on resume submissions.
- Do wear a genuine smile with teeth. It gives you a more personable angle.
- Do choose a good background. Pick a nice and soft-coloured background that won’t distract the recruiter’s attention away from your face.
- Do invest in a good photography session if you have the money. Trust us, this will pay off. After all, there are plenty of other ways you can use professional resume images anyway, not just for job applications. Think about your social accounts, particularly LinkedIn, and freelancing websites where you have your own profile and account.
- Do dress appropriately. Smart casual is acceptable for a professional photo for resume. No need for a full suit.
- Don’t use your selfies. As much as you love your most recent selfie, steer clear from using it as a resume photo. It might strike as an unprofessional way of showing off your looks.
- Don’t use your graduation photo. Clients and recruiters don’t need proof that you’re a college graduate. After all, it’s the skills they need, and they will also learn from your resume that you have a degree, anyway.
- Stay away from using a resume picture that is too photoshopped. Even when you’re applying as a graphic designer, it’s not impressive to use your skills in altering your resume photo.
- Don’t wear heavy makeup. Sometimes less is more.
It’s true that when you move further along in the virtual assistant hiring process, recruiters and hiring managers will finally see your cheerful face. However, while applying for freelance gigs, we still think it’s essential to keep your experience, abilities, and accomplishments in the spotlight. Should you decide to add a resume picture, make sure it adds value. It better be presentable and professional.